Well the Beast from the East is truly alive and kicking and way more legit than we expected! As the snow continues to fall we thought we could use our time to share with you one of our favourite winter warmer soup & fresh bread recipes-
Moroccan Spiced Tomato & Red Lentil Soup with Oak Smoked Malted Loaf
Ingredients For Bread
500g Oak Smoked Malted Wheat Flour (Plus extra for dusting)
400ml Warm Water
2 Tsp Salt
10g Dried Yeast
2 Tbsp Olive Oil (Plus extra for greasing)
1 Egg mixed with 20ml water for eggwash
Ingredients For Soup
250g Red Lentils
2 Cans Chopped Tomatoes
700ml Vegetable Stock
2 Tbsp Cumin Seeds
4 Cloves Garlic Chopped
2 Tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Worcester Sauce
Method For Bread
1. Weigh & Measure your Ingredients
2. Put the dried yeast in a ramekin or small bowl with the sugar and around 50ml of the warm water, give it a slight stir and leave in a warm place for 5-10 minutes (it should start to bubble at the top)
3. Once the Yeast has activated (started to bubble) put a well in the flour and add the yeast mixture. Using your hands slowly start to mix the remaining water into the flour with the olive oil & salt. Continuously stir with your hand. Keep stirring until a sticky dough has formed.
4. Tip the dough out onto a floured work surface & begin to knead whilst adding small amount of flour if required. Knead until the dough becomes smooth and elasticated - around 10 minutes.
5. Grease a bowl with olive oil & gently place the kneaded dough into the bowl to proof. Grease enough clingfilm to cover the bowl & place over loosely with the greased side down.
6. Leave in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
7. Once the dough has risen knock it back by emptying the dough out of the bowl onto a floured work surface.
8. Using your hands shape the dough by delicately tucking the sides round and pushing them under to create an oblong shape.
9. Place onto a well greased & floured baking tray. Replace the greased clingfilm loosely over the bread and return to a warm place to proof for 40 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200c.
10. Once proofed remove the clingfilm and using a pastry brush delicately eggwash the bread & use a knife to gently score patterns into the loaf as you wish.
11. Place in the oven for 40 minutes.
12. After 40 minutes you can check if your bread is ready by gently knocking on the loaf, when ready it should sound hollow.
Method for Soup
1. Measure & weigh out your ingredients.
2. Chop the Onions & Garlic.
3. Slowly sweat onions in a big soup pot with oil.
4. When the onions have a nice colour add the garlic and stir for 1 minute then add the cumin & lentils & stir for another minute.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes to the pot & simmer for 2 minutes before adding the vegetable stock & leave to simmer on a medium heat for 30 mins.
6. Season the soup with the salt & Worcester sauce and then roughly blitz with a handheld blender leaving a bit of texture to the soup.
7. Serve nice & warm with a slice of freshly baked bread!
We hope you enjoy our recipe! Please send photos of your creations to email@example.com we'd love to see them!